Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Final Project

Admittedly, this project started as one thing and changed to something completely different.  Originally I had planned on doing some sort of glass work, which I have recently been experimenting with.   I attempted a couple pieces but really wasn’t happy with the way they were turning out.  Then I read chapter six (1940-1949) in Makers.  This whole section fascinated me because it was the first period that I had a connection being that it was when my parents were born.

After having read the section in Makers on Gertrud and Otto Natzler, I was inspired to create my interpretation of one of his tables.  This section, and specifically their relationship, struck me.  Otto Natzler once said that “our lack of knowledge went hand in hand with a lack of inhibitions” (pg 197).  Quite often I personally feel this way.  I don’t know any better, so I am less aware of the formality of certain techniques and mediums.  I also try to instill this in my students.  Many times, art teachers in my district say they won’t use Elmer’s glue or paints with their kindergarteners.  My thoughts- why not!  I also love the fact that Otto Natzler was attracted to the mistakes, because they seemed to show more about the medium (pg 197).  This is such a learning opportunity for my students. 

I don’t have access or room to do major woodworking in my apartment, but this is an area I would like to explore at a later date.  Because of this, I simply went to Lowes and purchased the round table top piece and three legs.  I fixed the legs at an unusual angle to add interest to the piece.  After that, I painted the base black.

To finish the top, I rolled clay to approximately ¼ of an inch in thickness.  I used multiple sized circle punches to create the circle pieces in small, medium and large sizes.  After about a week, they went into the kiln for the first fire.  When they finished, they were glazed in the primary and secondary colors and re-fired.  They were affixed to the top of the table using E6000 glue. 

I’m at a point where I need to do finishing touches on the table.  My next steps are to use grout, specifically black or black glitter grout, to fill in the top and level it out.  After that I planned on painting a decorative pattern on the table legs, but am still not sure that this part will happen.  After everything is completed, I will seal the table legs and edges of the table to ensure that it is protected.  Are there mistakes and imperfections, absolutely, but that’s also one of the things I really like about this table.

I cannot wait to finish this project and put it in my classroom.  I believe that this will provide my students the opportunity to see another piece that I have made, that art work does not have to be perfect, and will provide me the opportunity to teach them about the Natzlers! 












3 comments:

  1. Great color, nice surprise. You know your students will want to make one. Too bad you do not have a woodshop in your school where you could team up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright colors and the circles. Your students will love this piece! How tall is the table?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with wood is so therapeutic, isn't it? Everyone will want one of their own!

    ReplyDelete